Friday, September 12, 2008

A day late: but let's not forget



So I am a day late in getting around to my September 11th post, but maybe it is more appropriate today on account of my forgetfulness and the theme of our remembrance. Yesterday we replayed the horrific tragedies inflicted on our country only seven years ago. I can remember the shock, anger, and fear that washed over me as I watched the planes crash into the towers, field, and Pentagon on that fateful morning. And to see my beloved country unite in such passion, such resolve, made me proud to be an American.

Despite our anthem to "never forget", sadly I do. Last night I wrote in my journal: "We will never forget... but so often I do. Forgetfulness is the great enemy of our resolve. Yes, in the break of the moment nothing can shake us. But time washes over our concrete promises turning them into castles made of sand swept out to sea. Lord, I don't want to forget. Strengthen the lessons you have taught me."

The lessons God has taught America are fiercely urgent. I believe that above all the patriotism and firm resolve to remember history's lessons, is a cry from the heart of God: don't forget ME...

8 comments:

  1. Excellent post Kaysie! I was thinking about this a lot yesterday, and you voice my thoughts exactly. Many of us have forgotten what happened on 9/11, and about God. I remember the times following that very day; everyone seemed to be turning back to the Lord, American flags were proudly flying all over the country - it was wonderful! But then, after only three months or so, it all slowly began to fade. People forgot, and are beginning to fall asleep again. Do we need another 9/11 to wake us up?

    "Lord, I don't want to forget. Strengthen the lessons you have taught me." and "don't forget ME..." Ditto to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kasie. :)

    Those times after 9/11 were awakening. In ways I hope we never have to experience another 9/11, and God has been gracious and patient in His callings for our repentance. I hope we wake up before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do too often forget these things, Kaysie. And I feel this nation has falled asleep once more, as Kasie said. We need to do better at remembering all of the things that happened from 9/11

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very thought provoking post, Kaysie!

    The other day, as I was reflecting on the events of Sep. 11th, I realized that I really didn't *want* to remember. I didn't want to remember, the pain, the tears, the heartache. I didn't want to remember the fear, the loss, the awful pictures of people jumping out of buildings. I just wanted to cover my eyes and ears and pretend that everything was perfect. I think this is what we all want to do.

    However, it is in pretending--in forgetting--that our problems lie. We must not forget that there is evil in this world. We must not forget that there is Someone who is bigger, and more powerful than evil. And we must always remember to "not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good (Romans 12:21)."

    Sorry for such I long reply...I told you your post was thought provoking!

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah, great thoughts! I know exactly what you mean... to remember the horrible events of September 11th, we must remember the pain it brought us. And that is the difficult part. Thank you for sharing your insights and the reminder to overcome evil with good. :)

    ReplyDelete