Monday, September 8, 2008

Blog... to develop an eye for what is meaningful

In honor of my one year blogoversary, I have decided to do a small series on why I blog based on an excellent article by Abraham Piper. Even though the article was written to persuade pastors to blog, I have found the reasons and principles to be true for any Christian blogger.

I most appreciate this aspect of blogging: it helps you develop and eye for what is meaningful.

Abraham Piper writes:
For good or ill, most committed bloggers live with the constant question in their mind: Is this bloggable? This could become a neurosis, but I’ll put a positive spin on it: It nurtures a habit of looking for insight and wisdom and value in every situation, no matter how mundane.

Funny, but it really does. I think this can apply to journalling as well, but with blogging the whole wide world can see what you are thinking. And that should effect what we blog. I am learning to keep my readers in the forefront of my mind, and to blog what you and I consider valuable.

Even without blogging, my mind is consistently filtering information and events, probing though what is profitable and questioning if the Lord is teaching me something through this. Blogging only enhances this practice, because it gives a place to record these reflections. Life is full of valuable treasures. But we must search for them.
If you live life looking for what is worthwhile in every little thing, you will see more of what God has to teach you. And the more he teaches you, the more you can teach others. As you begin to be inspired and to collect ideas, you will find that the new things you’ve seen and learned enrich far more of your life than just your blog.

3 comments:

  1. Well congrats on the anniversary! That's great!

    I agree with what you and piper are saying. Blogging has made me alert, looking for moments to blog in everyday life. I am always looking for worth while and edifying to post :P

    RYC: I would recommend getting that prayer band. It is such a great reminder. (It looks nice too, lol).

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Eric! :)

    I think you do a great job of blogging meaningful posts. I like blogs that are discerning in what they write. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying the posts you are sharing on blogging. It's enlightening, but also confirmation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete