Sunday, October 12, 2008

Windswept



There is something mysterious about a breeze. We can’t see it, but yet it can be felt. It moves the things around us, giving a voice to nature. Storms and sunsets are enhanced by a wind, both gentle or fierce. The wind effects it's target, all while remaining invisible.

Recently I took a walk through a grove of trees effected by a rowdy wind. The great trees bent easily under the mighty wind's power, ripping through the drying leaves and creating such a noise overhead. Looking up into the action, I found it strange that although I could see the trees swaying and the leaves shaking, I could not see the "object" that was stirring such activity. But obviously it was there.

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear it's sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."
John 3:8 ESV

In the Greek, the same word is used for both wind and Spirit. Maybe because their qualities are similar? Both are seemingly invisible, but they are very real. They effect people, but remain unseen. Skeptics can't believe in our God because He is invisible and they don't know where He came from. Sometimes we Christians even begin to assume God is absent from our lives because He appears to be hidden.

Open your eyes and look around you. Watch the people as they sway under His power. Look as souls are redeemed and people change. The Spirit of Jesus is moving among us, transforming us, empowering us to live like Him. It is the great mystery.

You might not be able to "see" the Spirit. But watch the trees. He is here.

5 comments:

  1. This is so very true. I know oftentimes I feel like God is not doing anything, but this is a great reminder that -- yes, He is! Always!

    Thanks for this reminder, Kaysie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Noelle. :) Praise the Lord, He IS at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You analogy of the breeze is so neat! I had never thought of that before! That is so very true also.

    ~Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you, Kaysie, for encouraging me this morning. Moments like this I want to burst for the joy of belonging to my awesome God. Yes, He is at work....in my life and through my life. By His Spirit at work through my words and my touch, I can bring those who don't know Him a little closer to His Kingdom. "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of hosts." Zechariah 4:6

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a really cool way to look at it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete