Sunday, October 19, 2008

How Did Jesus Witness?



It's a rainy day. Mary's driving home from a long day of hectic social interaction. Looking out her window she sees the familiar sign glowing through the fog: Starbucks. She walks in, shakes the water off of her coat, and grabs a latte. Finding a cozy seat by the window, she begins to quietly enjoy her beverage. A young woman comes in and sits in the booth next to her. With hardly a glance in her direction, Mary stares at the cars splashing by on the highway.
"We surely needed the rain today, didn't we?" comes from the young woman in the next booth.
"Sure did." Mary quickly responds, hoping this will silence her.
"Do you like rainy days?" 
Oh boy. Can't I just watch the rain and drink my coffee in peace?
Mary let's out a little sigh. "In moderation."

All gets quiet again. Yes, finally. Mary takes another sip of her quickly cooling latte. Leaning back in the chair, she tries to relax. Without warning, her heart feels a deep prick. And she knows what this means. The beat in her heart speeds up (and it's not the caffeine). Oh no Lord... do I have to do this right now, with her? Can't I just enjoy the rain. I'm tired. You've seen how busy my day was. Can't you use someone else? I'm no good at this anyway...

The prodding doesn't stop. Mary's heart wrestles within her. Her palms get sweaty. As her mind leans toward obeying God's calling, she almost panics. What do I say? How do I begin? What if I say something wrong? How will she respond? How do I do this?!

How do I do this?



Witnessing is looked upon widely as a seemingly confusing and stressful task for the Christian. Every person is different, with different backgrounds and fears, different ways of understanding and communicating. How do we go about sharing the most important news in the world with someone we have never met or don't understand? Jesus shows us how.

While reading in John 4 a few days ago, God began showing me some basic, helpful guidelines for witnessing that Jesus used while talking to the woman from Samaria.

Jesus talked with the outcasts. (4:9)
We shouldn't avoid those we don't understand or who our culture ignores. Jesus opened a conversation with 1) and Samaritan, and 2) a woman. Both of these qualities where despised among the Jews. But Jesus didn't let that stop Him from sharing the truth. Everyone needs the gospel, especially the outcasts.

Jesus used earthly instruments to explain heavenly precepts. (4:13)
The well of water was an excellent tool for explaining the gospel to this thirsty woman. We also can use physical objects around us to help illustrate the spiritual truths of Christ. Everything can be used to point to Christ.

Jesus was patient with her ignorance. (4:15, 16)
After Jesus presents a simply beautiful illustration about the Living Water, which Christians completely understand, the Samaritan woman responds by asking, "Give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water." (4:15) She kinda missed the point. The water Jesus was offering wasn't physical water, but eternal spiritual water. But it didn't discourage Him. He just went deeper.

Jesus cut straight to the heart. (4:16)
Picking up on the signs about her lifestyle, (and being God, He knew all things) He asked her a question which would reveal what she lived to hide. A few years ago, I read something by John Piper that I will never forget, "The quickest way to the heart is through a wound." Jesus uses this knowledge to strip away the crust of lies and lay bare the inner self. This is a valuable tool for witnessing. Every person has wounds of the heart. If we can lovingly and honestly uncover these hurts, we can offer the healing balm of the gospel to fill the holes of pain caused by sin.

Jesus gets to the heart, then reveals Himself. (4:26)
After much dialogue and discussion with this woman, He gets to her heart and then reveals Himself. If He would have simply walked up to her in the beginning and declared, "I am the Messiah!", I don't think she would have listened to Him. In the same way, we cannot approach strangers and announce that they need Jesus without getting to their heart, showing them their heart, and then offering the remedy for their heart.

Jesus answered her questions with the truth. (4:20, 22)
This lady obviously had real questions about religion and worship. And Jesus let her talk and ask questions. I noticed though in every answer, Jesus held out an invitation for her to step into. Our answers to people's questions should always offer hope and truth, with an open invitation to join and change.

Jesus creates a worshipper. (4:23)
Out of an obviously carnal woman, in whom I would have probably regarded as beyond hopeless, Christ transformed her into a true worshipper that would bear witness to her entire town. She wasn't just a number to Him. He wanted and created a worshipper.

What about when I don't feel like witnessing to people? Look to Jesus. In the verses leading up to this passage, it says, "So Jesus, wearied as he was from his journey, was sitting beside the well." (4:6) Jesus was weary. He was tired from a long journey. But He was faithful in His compassion. Everyone needs Him, and to everyone (even in His weariness) He made Himself available. What an example...

All this considered, we must again come to the realization that it is not us making a Christian, it is Christ at work. Take the burden off of your shoulders and rest in the power of the gospel.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes." Romans 1:16

The gospel is what holds the power. Not us.
We are just the witnesses who sit by the wells of life offering the Water for life.

[polldaddy poll=1020306]

If you answered in the above poll, please feel free to elaborate in the comment section.

12 comments:

  1. I voted that witnessing is a struggle for me, but that I want to get better. I chose that because when it comes to witnessing, I seem to lose my head. My thoughts become "I hope I don't sound to harsh" and "what do they think of me" and "am I saying this right?" With worries like that, I can easily blow the witnessing opportunity, and not be very clear in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all feelings I have had when attempting to witness too, Sharon. There is something to the pressure. But I found such hope (and peace) in Jesus' example, and in Romans 1:16. Knowing that the gospel is what is providing the power, and the gospel will ultimately lead them to salvation. I kinda took a lot of the pressure off of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post Kaysie. Amazing and challenging reminder!!!
    Love Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems I can't get over the nervousness I always feel before I share the gospel, but once I start talking I find that God gives me the words to say! It is truly amazing. Onetime last summer I witnessed to a Jewish couple who openly ridiculed me, and God gave me the grace and the words to say! That will always stand out in my mind as a reminder that His grace is sufficient. I wonder sometimes if God allows the nervous feelings so that I will know that His power is perfect through my weakness?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hardest thing for me is witnessing to friends. Strangers you might never see again but friends are different.
    What's really difficult is when someone says 'they're a christian', but their whole life speaks otherwise. They think "You can't preach to me, I'm a christian already"...but what if something in their life really needs help??

    As you can see I need a lot of practice in this area. :)
    Great post, Kaysie!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brianna, you're welcome. :)

    Rosanne, what a great point! It is in our weakness that we clearly see God's strength working in us, and this definitely relates to witnessing as well.

    Julia, friends are harder to witness to... especially when they "think" they already are a Christian. But I find that, in this case, as they observe your holy life lived, that is a strong witness as well. Just keep walking the walk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharing my faith is difficult sometimes because, well for instance I tried to witness to a Catholic and last week and she said she was saved and admitted she was Catholic, yet I began talking and asking her how she knew she was saved and she gave all the right answers with Catholics sometimes you just don't know how to go about when they are grounded in what they believes. So I told her something I knew they thought could get them to heaven" Do know you cannot get to heaven by how good you are?" she responded in confidence, saying she knew that. Also people who are Muslim they are hard to witness too I knew a girl who was Muslim I witnessed to her and it was hard because she believed in Allah and was in rut but Ifeel she wasn't turning away she was open and the seed was put their.

    Keep Jean and Sundas in your prayers.

    What I am saying I meet people everyday and I just don't know how to go about witnessing that every one though.

    Still learning how to witness,
    ~Katy~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, I will pray right now for Jean and Sundas. That is wonderful for you to have an opportunity to share the Lord with them. It is sad to see that so many people that "think" they are Christians. We must be all the more different from them to walk in transformation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard for me to witness. Period. Whether it's with friends, people I sort of know, or complete strangers. So sharing my faith is something I desperately need to work on! Thanks for the post!

    Oh, and here's a link to a neat/funny video about witnessing. I think you'll like it! http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=5749e00a9781839cc3ab

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really learned from this post and the comments just written. What really opened my eyes was the statement how Jesus cut to the heart and the power of the gospel leads to salvation. Thank you Kaysie for writing a easy to read and understanding post. This will be helpful in my next "witnessing adventure!"
    *It seems like an adventure because you never know how it will turn out and each person is different, so they respond differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kasie, thanks for linking that hilarious (in a convicting kind of way...) video. :)
    Come to think of it, I have used those excuses myself at times... this will be a great reminder.

    Kalani, I am so glad you liked the post. This is something I struggle with too, so I wrote out of need. Hope God reminds you of these truths on your next "adventure"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just nervous speaking infront of people about something that serious. I'm afraid of messing up and then confusing them. I guess I should just try to conquer that fear.
    Thanks for you post!
    Caro

    ReplyDelete