Monday, November 26, 2007

Alabaster Heart: Sylvia

I am so excited and pleased to introduce you to a new friend of mine! Her name is Sylvia and she lives in Kampala, Uganda. She is 26 years old and lives and works in Kampala. Her church is there as well, but her family lives in Budaka (eastern Uganda). She is God’s warrior and her life has been a life of war. She wants to live and stand for the truth, and she knows the future is bright. She wants to glorify God in everything she does.

 
1) How and when did you first come to know Jesus as your Lord?

 
I knew about Jesus and that He died and rose again, but I guess I was living a double life. It was in Feb. 2003 at my University at an abstinence rally that I committed my life to Jesus completely and said “Jesus take the wheel!” From then to now my life has never been the same, and I am forever grateful!

 
2) What has been the biggest change in your life as a result of salvation?

 
There are so many changes in my life, but the biggest change of all is that I now live life with purpose. Before, I was just living like everyone else. Right now, I know there is someone who loves me (JESUS), and that there is eternal life after this life where I will go to meet the King of kings. Basically everything about me has changed.

 
3) What is your favorite thing about Jesus?

 
My favorite thing about Jesus is His humility and boldness. He was God and had all the power to do everything, yet He lived such a simple life and chose to die for me - me who is soo rebellious and ungrateful! I want to be like Jesus!

 
4) What do you feel God’s purpose for your life is?

 
To do His will, to live a life that pleases Him. And to pray for the Nations that they will come to acknowledge that He is King.

 
5) What is the hardest thing for you to live out as a set apart woman?

 
It is hard to live a set apart life, especially in a world where there is so much sin around me. But, I have come to learn that I am not to please the world, but that, as a set apart woman, I am to please God. It may be hard, but at the end of it all I glorify God.

 
6) What woman has impacted your walk with God more than anyone else?

 
One of the leaders in our church, she’s called Hadassah. She has so much zeal for the Lord! And when she talks about the Lord it is very real. Also her life testimony is so amazing. She shares her struggles and how she has overcome them, and this helps me deal with mine.

 
7) In your daily walk with God, what are a few things that you do to remain renewed and focused on God?

 
God’s Word helps me a lot, and I am so open with God. I talk to Him about whatever am going through. Also short prayers help, like for example “I know You are with me”.

 
8) If you could say one thing to other Christian girls what would you say?

 
They are princesses and Jesus loves them the way they are. And that they should work on their inner beauty more than the outside. Dress modestly, and honor the temple of the Holy Spirit.

 
9) What do you do to entertain yourself?




I watch Christian movies, and read and listen to music.

 
10) What are some of your favorite books?

 
“Brokenness”, “The Purity Principle”, the “Left Behind Series” and of course the Bible - my life guide!

 
11) What is one of your favorite things to do in the course of a day?

 
Talking to my friends after work.

 
12) What is your favorite bible verse?

 
Jeremiah 29:11. When I feel like all is not making sense, it speaks to me. But every time I read it, I get new revelations about many verses.

 
13) As far as music goes, who is your favorite artist and why? (Also name a couple of your favorite songs)

Huh…….this is hard, I have many! Mark Schultz, I love His passion for God. I like the song “He will carry me” and many more.

 
14) Can you describe yourself in one word?

 
What?………..I can’t! I need to think about this one.

 
15) What is your favorite quote? (From someone other than Christ)

 
“When I say am not proud, I am already proud.” - Joy

 
16) What is your favorite thing about this blog?

 
I like the name Alabaster Box………..speaks a lot to us as women and our love for Jesus. And what Kaysie is doing for the young women is really great.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Sylvia,
    I just wanted to tell you that you seem like such a sweet woman.
    The love of Christ shines through you! Thank you for being such a good Warrior!
    In Christ,
    Carley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sylvia,
    I wanted to be the first to comment on your beautiful life and amazing passion for Jesus Christ.
    Your life has been such an encouragment to me…I am so happy the Lord gave me your precious friendship. You have blessed my life far more than you will ever know.
    I pray for you often, my friend, and am confident God will continue to do amazing things in your life for His glory and praise.
    Thank you for doing this “Alabaster Heart” for me. I know so many will be encouraged by your bright light in this dark world.
    I love you, my sister in Christ!
    Blessings,
    Kaysie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming to my site! I’ve linked your site on mine! I really appreciate your blog!
    In and For Him,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sound like such sweet Godly woman… I wish I could meet you in person.
    i love hearing about other girl’s passion for Christ. it always encourages me. thanks for sharing with us, Sylvia!
    <

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What passion you have for Christ and the life you are living for Him! Just reading your answers made me feel as if you were sitting right in front of me sharing your heart! You are incredible! God bless you!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments. its wonderful hearing from beautiful ladies who love the Lord from far away.
    i pray that our passion for Jesus will increase everyday.
    Kaysie….thanks for being a blessing to me and your passion for Jesus challenges me to cultivate a much deeper relationship with the Lord.
    to all the ladies….Remember be a princess and a warrior for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post Kaysie! I really enjoyed reading it- it is so encouraging reading about sisters in Christ who have a passion to serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Slyvia, I had to say that Mark Shultz’s song He Will Carry Me is a favorite of mine as well. Wow is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete