Sunday, November 4, 2007

What Will You Give Me?

This morning as I was reading in Matthew 26 about our founding woman in Bethany, I was again captivated by her pure and glowing loyalty to Jesus. Almost everytime I read her story I want to fall on my face before my God in surrendar. Jesus’ kindness and tenderness is beautiful in her story. The way He protects and approves her should be a comfort to us!
Many times I think we as God’s beloved children do not stop and think on God’s beauty and character enough. When I am obedient to the Spirit’s calling and simply sit at His feet and soak in His character shown through His responses towards others, His loyal heart to His Father, and His profound words, my heart is transformed and swells with joy and passionate love for Jesus. In His presence I am changed!

And as I read this morning of Jesus’ gracious and precious blessing to this woman, I felt the embrace of His great love and grace.

“Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will be spoken of in memory of her.” Matthew 26:13

I continued reading down to the next verse and my heart was suddenly chilled as darkness crept into the story.

“Then one of the twelve, named Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me to betray Him to you?” And they weighed out thirty pieces of silver to him. From then on he began looking for a good opportunity to betray Jesus.” Matthew 26:14-16

After such a powerful portrayal of love, sacrifice, and loyalty seen in the woman with the alabaster vial, what a great contrast Judas’ hatred, selfishness, and betrayal is towards Jesus.

Judas’ words sting my heart, “What are you willing to give me?”

Many times I have seen this in my own heart and in the lives of countless others with this selfish attitude towards God. “Ok, I’ll follow You, Jesus, but what will You give me?”

The first thing I see here is a condition. Contrast this with the woman with the alabaster vial; her love was completely unconditional. She gave Jesus her all without expecting anything. Judas wanted what he could get out of Jesus.

Which one was more satisfied in the end?

Remember the blessing Jesus gave to the woman? Wherever the gospel was preached her story whould be told!

What did Jesus say about Judas?

“…It would have been good for this man if he had not been born.” Matthew 26:24

Examine your heart in the light of these two people.

Which one are you?

1 comment:

  1. that looks like a LOT of fun, great idea Kaysie! that would be cool to do.

    ReplyDelete