Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Off-White Comparision

24046907While unloading the dishwasher the other day, I wiped dry one of my favorite tea mugs and prepared to place it in the cabinet. I noticed behind the rows of coffee mugs, deep in the shadows of the cabinet, the glimpse of a familiar mug I had been looking for. Reaching far back into the dark space, I pulled out the lost cup. Pleased at my findings, I sat my two mugs side by side on the self as to not forget to use them both. Only then did I notice an obvious difference between them. Designed to be identical, one of the elegant white cups now looked altered. The mug I had retrieved from the dishwasher was slightly darker than the recently rescued one.

I quickly concluded that my daily black tea had quietly stained my frequented cup. I hadn't noticed the difference until I compared it with the originally intended color. "Funny how things can change without me noticing," I thought to myself. I shrugged off the matter and went on to unload the rest of the dishwasher.

It wasn't until a little later that God used the incident to remind me of a principle He had been teaching me. Someone I know had recently brought up the question, "Why do we need to study God's Word?" I thought it to be an absurd question. We are Christians ... reading the Bible is what we do. But that is no answer for a skeptic, or a Christian. Studying God's Word is like holding up the perfect, unstained coffee mug to the one we use every day. Do they compare? Are they the same color? Where and how are we stained?

God's Word is the standard, not the environment around us. Oftentimes I pardon myself by comparing my character, responses, and worldview with the people around me. "Oh, I am not as bad as them..." kind of stuff. This is why we must daily be confronted with the Word. It flatters nothing. It holds the truth about how we are to live and grow. And it shows us where we are getting stained.

Like my tea mug, becoming stained happens quietly. Every morning the color of my mug grew darker in it's complexion, but ever so slightly. If not for the rediscovery of the unsoiled mug, I wouldn't have known anything was different about my cup, or that it needed a better scrubbing. The Bible is the same way. It shows us the perfect standard. Paul compared it to "looking in a mirror," it reveals the true person.
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. (James 1:22-25)

Now on to the "doing" ...  and the scrubbing.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Kaysie!

    That is a good reminder... I love how you can look at two teacups and get a post like that out of them! :)

    Blessings!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Casey .
    This scripture immidately came to mind

    2Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

    Gods word the ever refining light .If we stay in his word long enough and look at it close enough. We will "become changed".
    Thanks again casey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops Am sorry for spelling your name incorrectly ..My bad .Kaysie please dont be offended. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, yes... :) The strangest things speak to me... good to hear from you!

    Earl, what a great verse! If we are comparing ourselves with others we are not wise. Comparing ourselves with God's Word is transforming.
    Don't worry about name spelling! I have a rather unique spelling anyway. It certainly doesn't bother me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How excellent Dear One that you find the most awesome lessons in the simplest of daily details. It is a lesson much needed and well lived out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a delight to read. It is amazing how the Spirit uses things in our daily lives to refresh us in our walk.

    I had a cue this morning, while considering my hair. A trick to not strip your hair of its good oils (because of sulfates in shampoo) is to wash with conditioner mixed with a bit of baking soda (you get the "clean" feeling and remove the buildup of styling products).

    I tried it a couple weeks ago and found it to be TRUE! Well I thought this morning after doing a tough few pages in my devotional last night: "I didn't sleep much, I feel more refreshed this morning than usual..."

    Instead of putting down the devotional, or putting more meaning into my responses than I really found, I read what Kay Arthur asked, considered what she pointed out, and was genuinely affected by the scriptures. A little less "hurt" was on my heart and a little more of me is open to the entirety of the Word.

    I hope it's OK, but you inspired me! I've linked this post in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tat was an excellent post, and very true. Thanks for sharing.

    Shalom,
    Miss Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betty, thank you! I think I am either easily inspired, or very simple-minded. :)

    Jillian, wow, great thoughts! I enjoyed reading what you had to say on your blog as well. It is so important to be open to the entirety of the Word, as you said. Thanks for your comments. I really enjoy them.

    Miss Jocelyn, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post Kaysie! It really spoke to my heart today. I love how you did the comparison with the stained tea mug to Christians who stop studying the Word. Changes take place slowly before someone finally notices them. I've just started Ezekiel in my devotions because I'm trying to get through all the harder books of the Bible that as I always shied away from. Although God says some very harsh things in this book, His grace is always apparent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sara, yes, Ezekiel is a challenging book! I am wading through Jeremiah right now; also very hard to swallow. But I am glad you are holding your life up to the perfect (sometimes difficult) law of God. Your life reflects it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What an amazing analogy. I too often forget to look at God's standards and have Him search my heart. When I start comparing my life to those around me, it can so easily lead me astray and cause me to grow less passionate about pleasing just my Saviour and living up to His purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaysie, that was so sweet of you to say- thank you! I actually just finished Jeremiah about a week ago, and yes, it is a very hard book! Isaiah was a little easier because he spoke of a hope in the future for God's people. While Jeremiah would sometimes refer to this hope, it was hard getting past all the judgements and mournings that are in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's one thing about the Bible: It definitely doesn't flatter us into thinking that we're perfect or doing well in God's eyes. It gives us the comfort to know that we're going to Heaven, but it also provides us with the standard that we daily fall short of. Not to say that it's done in a way to make us feel bad (although it might make some people feel bad); it's presented in a way that makes us want that perfection and we know that it's OK, it's not the end of the world to not be perfect (I'm drawing a blank, but "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" is what I'm thinking of).

    Aside from your tea cup being stained, it's also easy to overlook the little negative changes in us. Similar to how we don't notice we're gaining weight until our jeans don't fit (bad example, but I'm still fairly asleep), we don't realize that we're choosing the world over God until we look around and wonder where God has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sara Nicole, amen! :)

    Sara, aww, you are welcome. I agree that Isaiah is a little lighter, especially starting in chapter 40, and that Jeremiah is a bit darker. But still God is showing me SO much. A lot of which I need to hear.

    Diane, well thank you! :)

    Lori, it is true. Great thoughts. It is so easy to overlook the bad qualities staining our character. That is why the Word is so important.

    ReplyDelete