Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Alabaster Heart: Sara

sweet SaraIt is my great pleasure to introduce you to a precious sister in the Lord, my dear friend Sara. She has been a blessing an encouragement to my walk with the Lord and a joy to get to know. And I know her life will be a great encouragement to you all as well.

..::..



My name is Sara Nicole Smith. I am 25 years old, a pastor's daughter, and oldest sister to three brothers. I live with my family in Northeastern Pennsylvania and I'm thrilled to be a daughter of the King of Kings. I seek to live for my Saviour and bring Him glory and honour in every way that I can. I enjoy studying the Word of God, exercising outdoors, keeping a house tidy and clean, baking, writing, blogging, spending time with family and friends, and smelling the scents of Yankee candles!

1) How and when did you first come to know Jesus as your Lord?

Since I was raised in a Christian home, I knew the concept of heaven and hell. So, at the age of three, I made a profession. However, I did not quite fathom the concept of repentance and godly sorrow over sin - my sin. It was at the age of 10 years old that the Lord broke through to my heart and gloriously saved me! I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour and immediately was cleansed from all unrighteousness! It's been a love relationship ever since!

2) What has been the biggest change in your life as a result of salvation?

Since I had grown up in a Christian environment with God-fearing parents who instructed their children in the ways of the Lord, there weren't too many outward changes of my new found relationship with Jesus Christ. The biggest change was inward. My heart was new! I had a longing desire to pant and seek after God. I didn't want to live for myself but seek to serve Him and obey His Word. I began loving time spent with my Saviour in prayer, reading the Word, memorizing Scripture, and writing letters to Him - as my Beloved and Friend.

3) What is your favorite thing about Jesus?

Oh, I'm not sure if I have one favorite thing because He is just all too wonderful! If I had to pick, I am thankful for His mercy. I fail Him so many times during the course of each day, yet He never leaves me or casts me away. He is always there, ready to forgive, help, comfort, and strengthen me. I would be nothing without Him. Any good within me is only by His grace!

4) What do you feel God's purpose for your life is?

At this time, I believe my calling is to be a faithful daughter, cheerfully serving my family and seeking their best. Whether this means relieving my mother of some of the household duties so she can minister to others, ministering to my father's congregation as a source of encouragement, spending quality time with my younger siblings, seeking ways to reach out to those in need around me, or just be at the right place at the right time for God to accomplish His purpose through me - this is my calling. I do desire to be a loving wife and joyful mother to many children, if God so chooses to bless me with that privilege; but until then, I am learning to wait upon the Lord as He strengthens my heart!

5) What is the hardest thing for you to live out as a set apart woman?

I believe there are two things that can become discouraging for me because of the scoff of the world: modesty and femininity. I so desire to please the Lord in my conversation (actions, words, conduct) but I also desire to please Him outwardly as well, in dress. Those in the world, as well as Christian believers, often frown upon this as they seem to think it is 'legalistic'. However, I know that we are personally called to walk in the Light that He has shown us to be true and I gladly admit there is a freedom and security in that. Also, I believe that feminism is so rampant in this day and age and chivalry has long ceased that it is hard for a woman to rely dependant on a man for strength, support, and protection. I have been blessed with a godly father and protective brothers who I can lean on. Others may not understand this dependence but I believe that the woman was created for the man and that we are called to be help-meets. This is our God-ordained role since the beginning of time.

6) What woman has impacted your walk with God more than anyone else?

I would definitely say my mother! She has been a source of inspiration to me and a godly example of a woman who fears and honors the Lord. Her guidance and instruction continue to mold me into a vessel fit for my Master's use. The Lord has also used Nancy Leigh DeMoss and her ministry to bless and encourage my heart.

7) In your daily walk with God, what are a few things that you do to remain renewed and focused on God?

When I feel like I need a "breath of fresh air", I will take a verse that has spoken to me and get out the concordance, dictionary, and commentaries and study it out. Then I will often write an article to keep it fresh in my mind.

8 ) If you could say one thing to other Christian girls what would you say?

Don't Give Up! It's too easy to look around at others and become disgruntled with your circumstances and ungrateful for where the Lord has put you at this exact moment in time. We must continually look to our Saviour and into His Word and purpose to obey Him in everything! Also, I believe it is very vital for a young woman to honour and respect her parents, their wishes, and desires. This pleases our Saviour!

9) What do you do to entertain yourself?

I enjoy relaxing with my family, playing a game and laughing with friends, playing my harp or piano, and checking up on my friends' blogs!

10) What are some of your favorite books?

"My Utmost for His Highest", "Treasury of David", "Abide in Christ", "The Pilgrims Progress", and "If I Perish", to name a few!

11) What is one of your favorite things to do in the course of a day?

Definitely writing and blogging (www.simplysanctified.blogspot.com)!

12) What is your favorite bible verse?

There are so many to choose from but the Lord has given me a special one throughout these past few months after suffering through many trials, heartache, and sorrow. "Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth". Isaiah 43:18-19

13) As far as music goes, who is your favorite artist and why? (Also name a couple of your favorite songs)

Believe it or not, I don't think I have a favorite artist. I do appreciate the music of Ron and Shelly Hamilton. Their songs have certainly blessed my heart and encouraged me in my walk with the Lord. Some of my favorite songs that I enjoy singing are, "I'd Rather Have Jesus", "A Tender Heart", "O Rejoice in the Lord", and "All the Way My Saviour Leads Me".

14) Can you describe yourself in one word?

I don't think so - I do know, though, that I am a "people person"! 

15) What is your favorite quote? (From someone other than Christ)

This life will soon be past but only what's done for Christ will last!

16) What is your favorite thing about this blog?

Kaysie's writings have been such a wonderful source of encouragement and blessing to my heart. To "see" her heart for the Lord through her writings is a precious and lovely gift! Thank you, Kaysie for all your hard work and labor of love for your sisters in Christ!

7 comments:

  1. Dearest Sara,
    I just wanted to comment on your radiant life lived for the glory of our Savior. You have been such an encouragement to me to love Jesus with all my heart and follow Him devotedly. Your life is a sweet melody to our Lord!

    Thank you for your friendship!
    Kaysie
    PS: I just love your smile... it reveals Jesus' love for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, I quite agree with so many things you said! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, what a wonderful story you have to tell. Thanks for sharing your life, its been a blessing to me, just hearing from another lady who loves the Lord and has made Him the centre of her life.

    Be blessed
    sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Sara! What an amazing love for Christ! I always enjoy reading a new Alabaster heart, because It's so cool to see God's love and faithfulness in other Believers. And to see that there are more Godly and womanly woman and girls who are Christians and share some (and most) of my convictions.
    What you said is so true, I'm glad for the insight into your walk with Jesus and your life. Keep it up, it's all for God! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, Sarah! I'm amazed after reading your testimony and bio here how alike we are! :D I really, really appreciated this! Thanks so much for blessing all of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing Sara! She is a wonderful example of a young woman serving the Lord with her life.

    Maria Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaysie,

    Have you thought about having a link on the Alabaster Heart posts to the person's blog/website if they have one? Sometimes I'd like to know more about the girl featured and would enjoy being able to visit her own blog, if she has one. :-)

    ~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete