Monday, December 31, 2007

Knowing Christ

reading the WordWhat should be the goal of our lives? What should be the nucleus of all our resolutions, commitments, goals, and strivings? If our lives could have one mission - one focus - what should it be?

This morning as I spent time with God, I read in Philippians 3, which is one of my favorite passages. These verses were just what my heart needed to hear and believe, especially as I prepare to close off 2007, and renew my mind and heart for 2008.

Listen to God's amazing a restoring Word:

"But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted lost for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and I count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ ... that I may know Him." Phil. 3:7-8, 10

Knowing Christ - that is where our heart should be. All the things I accomplished this past year, all my fleshly improvements, achievements, goals reached, and plans accomplished - I count them but loss in view of the surpassing and incredible value and worth of knowing Jesus Christ more everyday of my life. This is the meaning a purpose of our lives: knowing Jesus.

Another verse just came to mind:

"Thus says the Lord, "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things," declares the Lord." Jer. 9:23-24

Our boasting - our worth - comes simply from knowing God. That's what He cares about, is us knowing more about Him. In a world that boasts in wealth and riches, success and fame, the Christian is commanded by God to find his wealth in the knowledge of Christ. We are to be "attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." (Col. 2:2-3)

Knowing Christ not only fulfills our purpose and meaning in life, but it brings hope and love, freedom and discovery in everyday. To live is Christ - we live to know, love, and live for Jesus. It's all about Him.
All I once held dear, built my life upon, All this worlds reveres, and wars to own, All I once thought gain I have counted loss, Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing You, Jesus, Knowing You, There is no greater thing, Your're my all, You're the best, You're my joy, my righteousness, And I love You, Lord

Now my heart's desire is to know You more, To be found in You and known as Yours, To posses by faith what I could not earn, All-surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh, to know the power of Your risen life, And to know You in Your sufferings, To become like You in Your death, my Lord, So with You to live and never die

Graham Kendrick  www.grahamkendrick.co.uk

I love this song... such a beautiful prayer and heart's cry to Jesus. "Now my heart's desire is to know You more..." as the song says, is the echo of my heart for this New Year and all my life. And I pray right now for you, that this coming year would be overflowing with the knowledge of Christ in your life; that you would seek Him first, know Him first, and love Him first and foremost in your life. 

Remember, a bride always seeks to know her groom more; it cultivates their love for one another. It is the same with us and Jesus, our Heavenly Groom; we must know Him to love Him. If you desire to love Christ passionately with all your soul, get to know Him through His Word. Daily spend time with Him praying, reading, and abiding in Him. He will captivate your heart and kindle a faithful love for Him in your soul. Loving Jesus = Knowing Jesus

7 comments:

  1. In the coming year, I think you've hit it right on with what we should be focusing on. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post! Happy New Year my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaysie!
    Thanks for directing me to your new blog! It's wonderful! I will definitely be visiting it plenty. Probably one of my greatest struggles has been being satisfied in Christ, and I am encouraged by what you are doing. When I was thirteen I made a commitment not to date until I was of marriageable age (18), and even though I made that commitment, I was never able to conquer the lonliness I felt and the longing for the day I would be married. I spent my teens in complete discontent. Just now I am finding out how to be satisified with where I am and doing what God wants me to do... thanks for being the light that you are.

    I read your "About Kaysie" section too, and it's hilarious how much we have in common! Especially in the reading section. I love the classics, and I am currently also reading Charles Spurgeon's "God's Grace to You". Have you ever read Philip Yancey's "The Jesus I Never Knew"? It is a wonderful book to learn more about Jesus, understanding him in the light of how people of the times would have viewed him.

    Anyway, sorry this is so long! Keep up the good work!
    Phylicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kaysie!
    Thank you for another great post!
    Your words are so encouraging to me, and I always look forward to a new post!
    I was thinking about what you said at the end, about how the bride seeks after her groom, and it hit me that when I'm engaged, I will probably want to spend lots of time with my -soon-to-be- groom. But do I spend a lot of time with the Groom I have now?
    Thank you again Kaysie for the wonderful post!
    I love you sis!

    Carley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaysie, Thank you for the comment! Ah yes, to know Christ - nothing else could be more important than that. May we always be striving to draw closer to Him.

    Joyfully,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, knowing Christ is the most important thing in life! Great thought & post... thanks Kaysie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kaysie I feel so blessed now that I have read all these posts in a row. You do well to direct us all to Jesus. I too have a desire to know Him more and more... I don't always let my spirit direct me in this, to just sit at his feet. I get busy doing this and that. May the Lord bless your blog and may many be blessed by it. God bless...

    ReplyDelete