Monday, January 4, 2010

in the residue of beginnings

I've been sitting here staring at this blinking cursor for about 15 minutes trying to think up something clever to blog about. I know I am probably making this more complicated than it should be (typical for me, you should know), but I struggle with beginning things sometimes. You might be the same way. It's like beginning a journal. That first page is so white and clean and perfect ... you almost don't want to mar it with black ink. Theoretically the rest of the journal hinges on that first page so I better make it good, I reason. But I guess if that intimidates me to never begin anything, something is wrong.

You see, I am stricken with a disease called perfectionism. And it's not as glamorous as it may sound. I consider it a plague, in fact. I can't see things without wincing at the potential failure. I am more likely to keep my hands to myself than reach out to see what it feels like. I content myself with staring through thick glass windows instead of trotting down the front porch steps to enjoy the rain or sunshine. Because, who knows? I might make a huge, terrible, unalterable mistake. (yes, that had a twinge of sarcasm in it...)

It seems naive in these little black words on the computer screen. But it gets bigger in my head. I'm tired of living life with this illusive raincloud staring over my shoulder. I was reading in the gospel of Matthew this morning and perused over some verses that are beginning to morph into an anthem for me.
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." (Matt. 5:14-16)

After reading over these verses a couple of times to fight off the familiarity, I thought to myself, "Why are you living under a basket?" It may seem safer, but it's also stupid. And it will eventually suffocate you. God made you a light ... so shine. This could mean different things for different people. But a few things are core. One being our works. They are supposed to be good works that are obviously, but not blatantly (see Matthew 6:1), visible to the world. As God's workmanship (we are the light), we were created to walk in the good works which He prepared beforehand (Eph. 2:10). Figuring out what "works" He has prepared for me is where I trip myself up though. Again, this doesn't have to be complicated or confusing. I am finding that the simple, daily obedience to God's Word is what He desires.

The second principle is the glorification of our Father in heaven. It's really not about me or my works -- but about God. He is the ultimate objective here. My purpose on earth is to shine my light, but He is the reason and also the means of illumination. "For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." (2 Cor. 4:6) Any light that I reflect is produced by Jesus Christ who enlightened my heart with His grace and truth.

I think some of my perfectionistic fixation (wow, what a mouthful) is rooted in my pride. I want to appear a certain way to people. I want my report card to speak of success instead of failures. I want to get off the ground with no bumps or bruises. No dents in the paint, so to speak. I only want people to see me shine when I look perfect. Well, that is just never going to happen. And in the beauty of God's grace, that's ok.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Kaysie, thank you for this post. And thank you for writing more! I so enjoy reading your words. God tells us that we are not alone in what we go through and are tempted with, yet we can feel so terribly alone unless we share it with others (but even that is scary, because we want the "perfect" response from people...even though we rarely get it). I totally relate to perfectionism. It has paralyzed me to the point where I've been afraid of trying anything that I wouldn't do well, or caused myself to procrastinate to the point where I can make excuses for not being "perfect" because I didn't have enough time. God has encouraged me with Luke 1:37 -- nothing is impossible with Him! Even hardcore perfectionists can be changed! :) Blessings for a wonderful new year in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gods word says :Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

    I think Kaysie you have a wide audience,your feminine gentle touch on many things is a special blessing.. God is calling you to spread the truth. The truth is in God's word.
    This world is not our own,We are just passing though. The Bible tells us that in many places.

    John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

    1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

    1John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

    All of the Bible is for our admonitions. You have brought out some of the tenderness of the Love of our Saviours so many times .. I love reading what you have to say .

    The very God of love is one of justice.. and He longs to rid this earth of the author of sin Lucifer and unfortunately all those that hold on to sin will be lost also.

    God so love us that he gave his only son to us.This is ultimate love ,this is the agape love this is the epitome of love.
    Would he leave us at that point. Will He not finished the Job.
    Will He not take us away from this gloomy place..

    His given you the gift.
    Use it.
    His coming is soon.
    Many souls to save.
    So little time.
    The vineyard needs labourers.
    True labourers.
    Will you labour for Him ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaysie--
    I'm a rather new reader just popping in to say "thank you" for sharing your thoughts. What a needed reminder for me! I too have some perfectionist-pride to weed out and some lessons in patient humility to learn! Your post took the words write out of my mouth (or my computer?).
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kaysie,
    Your words speak truth. Perfectionism has to be a disease with me. It seems to dictate so much of my life, paralyzing me with fears of failure. Only through Christ can I find freedom from perfectionist thinking! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a great writer! Amen - thank you for the great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say a picture paints a thousand words and the picture you selected for this post is perfect, The LIFE is in the seed. We abide alone unless we DIE to self and LIVE to Him. I have read many of your posts and I can see clearly that you REFLECT the LOVE of Christ richly and clearly. I can also so clearly the LIGHT of Christ's Love radiating from you. I can also clearly see the gift the Lord has given you to reflect on His word and write beautifully what you have learned.

    The best way to be the light of Christ is to simply share the WORD OF CHRIST which is to dwell richly within you. Apart from God's word we can do NOTHING. We are nothing but an empty vessel that needs to be FILLED with the Word of Christ. Let the Word of Christ dwell in your richly. When the world is looking for an answer they need the WORD OF CHRIST. This is the LIGHT we are to shine. The Light of God's word which you do nicely. Remember the only perfect thing in this world is GOD. Even Jesus said WHY do you call me Good there is none good but God.

    That's all Eagle Out! :)

    Loved your post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said: "I think some of my perfectionistic fixation (wow, what a mouthful) is rooted in my pride. I want to appear a certain way to people. I want my report card to speak of success instead of failures. I want to get off the ground with no bumps or bruises. No dents in the paint, so to speak. I only want people to see me shine when I look perfect. Well, that is just never going to happen. And in the beauty of God’s grace, that’s ok."

    I had to chuckle when I re read this portion of your post because the title of your blog is ALABASTER BOX. Now if your title reflects the bible story of Mary who broke open her alabaster box of perfume to anoint Jesus' feet then you can see why I chuckled.

    The pretty box is not of as much value as the perfume it contained. Until the box was broken the sweet aroma of what was inside could not fill the room. Until we are broken we too can not give off that sweet aroma of God's love.

    Kaysie I see a great deal of perfume pouring forth from within you. Honestly I have yet to look upon your personage because what pour forth from within is of far greater value to myself. I enjoy hearing what you have to share and love the way you share it. Thanks for breaking open the ALABASTER BOX.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great thought about being a light! Thanks for sharing, from a sister perfectionist.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,just discovered your web-site when i google something and wonder what web hosting do you use for your wordpress,the speed is more faster than my blog, i really want to know it.will back to check it out,thank you!

    Hi Blair, I use Bluehost (www.bluehost.com). It has worked pretty well for me thus far.

    ReplyDelete