Saturday, January 9, 2010

a beauty that speaks of permanence

Perhaps I should begin with a disclaimer. None of the qualities I hope to describe below can be applied as easily as make-up and mascara. Because this kind of beauty deals with "the hidden person of the heart," simply touching up the physical won't cut it. We cannot live out the beauty of biblical womanhood apart from the sanctifying work of the gospel and the power of the Spirit. This is what sets us apart, makes us holy, and develops true beauty. The times that I have become frustrated with my lack of holy beauty is always a direct result of ignoring the ultimate source of imperishable beauty: Jesus Christ. Now, with that said...

Let's begin with a question. According to God, what defines a beautiful woman? Out of all the voices and pictures and opinions of what true beauty is, what does our Creator and Savior esteem as beautiful? In so many ways I deeply appreciate God's definition of beauty because mere physical attractiveness is obviously varying and perishable. Unlike our culture which has a "pattern" of what beauty encompasses, God's standard is less somatic and much more transcendent. Here it is, straight from His mouth:
Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. (1 Peter 3:3-4)

According to God, beauty shouldn't have a "best if used by" date on it. Nor should it be explained through external techniques. Beauty revolves around something you can't really see. It involves your attitude, your presence, your thoughts, and your standards -- and the manner in which you present them. In a world where women are respected for being assertive and dominating, God calls for gentleness in a woman. This is not a "pat on the head" kind of nature. It is entirely more than that -- and I love this definition.

According to the Greek, "gentleness" is a meekness toward God and a disposition of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting. Gentleness is the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. The gentle person isn't occupied with self at all. This attitude is a work of the Holy Spirit, not of the human will (Gal 5:23).

Beauty is a quiet spirit. It does not demand attention or proclaim it's presence. It does not depend on a pretty face or skin tone to thrive. But by it's nature, beauty reflects the presence of God in a soul. If a woman is truly beautiful by God's standard, there is no denying that something is different about her. When held up to the glossy-faced models on magazine covers, the judge is left speechless because the two are opposites in value. It's like comparing a piece of paper to the ocean. One can almost be seen through, the other's depth cannot be calculated.

I want this permanent beauty. I want people to be drawn to what's behind my eyes instead of the clothes I wear or the structure of my face. Because whatever physical beauty I have, it will fade. If the object of my life is to glorify God (Matt. 5:16), then I pray my attitude, my trust in God, my submission to the Spirit, my disposition and gentleness points clearly to Jesus Christ. I want God and His sanctifying work to define the conclusion of beauty. As God perfects the spirit within me, the more I hope people stop looking at me and behold the beauty of God.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I digg this post, Kaysie! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great truth, I am amazed again at your spirit driven writings... You definitely have a gift from God to encourage young women, as they seek to find the Lord and His will for their lives. I love your quote... "A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man must seek HIM first to find her"... the one posted on your side bar. Kaysie keep up the anointed work God has given you. You are special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! This was so refreshing to read. Actually before I even read this, the Lord has been teaching me about gentleness. This was so helpful in clarifying and confirming what Christ is seeking to teach me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing. I want a woman whose eyes are fixed on the LORD, not me. Holy purity and virtue are far more attractive than external beauty and I'm willing to wait for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Kaysie, thank you for using your gift of writing to glorify the Lord. I enjoy all your writings and sometimes post them to Facebook in hope of encouraging my young friends. God bless you...keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...Just beautiful, and true.
    I think you have captured the essence of what our God intended..

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] gems of truth. one http://www.alabasterboxblog.com/2008/01/14/a-heart-hidden-in-christ-2/ two http://www.alabasterboxblog.com/2010/01/09/a-beauty-that-speaks-of-permanence/ three http://www.alabasterboxblog.com/2008/03/09/a-real-woman/ [...]

    ReplyDelete