Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thoughts on Journaling

I love to journal. Everything about it intrigues me. And my love for journaling has created a love for (you guessed it) journals. I am one that loves to go to Barnes and Nobles just to look at the journals, the one that will stop to look at the notebooks in the school supply section of the grocery store, and one that has a stash of around 5-10 notebooks or journals in my closet for future recordings. I have no idea when or where this zeal for journaling emerged; I can only remember that when I was really little my Mom found me in the diary aisle of our school supply store clutching a diary with a horse printed on the front (I don't know if it was the horse or the diary that infatuated me).


I write all this to say that a love for journaling combined with a love for God is a powerful combination. Every child of God has their own story, their own daily walk with God that longs to be recorded on a page that outlasts even their own life. What would we have without such recordings? The Bible? The journals and books of the great Christian men and women who have gone before us? 


Their stories encourage, convict, and inspire us only because they recorded it. Imagine if Matthew, Mark, Luke or John had failed to obey the Spirit's voice and inspiration and not written any of their accounts or personal experiences about the Jesus our Savior! Where would we be? What would we know?


It is so important to write down your thoughts, experiences, and learnings. If only for the purpose for you to be able to look back and remember God's faithfulness and grace in your own life, do it for that reason. It's truly important.


Awhile back I was reading the Rebelution Blog and found this great post on journaling. In this post was a quote from Don Whitney's Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life which would be good to write in the front of your journal as a reminder of the importance of journaling to monument God's faithfulness:


 "As a Christian your journal is a place to record the works and ways of God in your life.


Your journal also can include an account of daily events, a diary of personal relationships, a notebook of insights into Scripture, and a list of prayer requests. It is where spontaneous devotional thoughts or lengthy theological musings can be preserved. Consider the words of the Maurice Roberts about journaling:


“The logic of this practice is inevitable once men have felt the urge to become moulded in heart and life to the pattern of Christ. No one will keep a record of his inward groans, fears, sins, experiences, providences and aspirations unless he is convinced of the value of the practice for his own spiritual progress.”


Josiah Pratt noted the value of a journal in self-examination:


“The practice of keeping a journal would promote vigilance. The lives of many are spent at a sort of hazard. They fall into certain religious habits: and are perhaps under no strong temptations. They are regular at church and sacrament, and in their families. They read the Bible and pray daily in secret. But here it ends. They know little of progress or decline of the inner man. They are Christians, therefore, of very low attainments. The workings of sin are not noticed, as they should be, and therefore grace is not sought against them: and the genial emotions of grace are not noticed, and therefore not fostered and cultivated. Now, a journal would have a tendency to raise the standard to such persons by exciting vigilance.”


Consider journaling, not only “for the purpose of godliness,” but also as a way to raise up “a monument of God’s faithfulness” in your life."


I would love to hear about your journals. Even though I do regularly keep a journal, sometimes I wonder how others keep (or layout) their journals. What kind of journal do you keep? Do you write everything as a prayer to God? Do you begin, "Dear Diary," or "Dear God," or neither? Do you have separate journals for different subjects like one for prayers and one for Bible study? Do you write daily happenings or spiritual thoughts? Do you have a favorite brand or style of journal you like?

12 comments:

  1. I love to journal too, and part of that probably stems from my love to write. It also probably stems from my times alone Jesus. He shows me too many precious and helpful lessons that must be written down!

    I have three types of journals right now and I'd like to begin a fourth one. (*thinks* where am I going to get all the time to write in them!?) First of all, I have my quiet times notebook. This is where I record what the Lord taught me during my quiet time with Him, usually in an article type format. Sometimes, I have a new entry(title included) each day, and sometimes I don't. :) Then there is my "life updates" journal. This is where I record whatever is going on. Funny, sad, hilarious, serious, etc. moments are all in there. Then I just a plain notebook for recording really good quotes from the books I'm reading. Those are the three types of journals that I currently have.

    I would like to start a prayer journal. I'd write out my prayers to God in there. (I used to do that in my quiet times journal, but I don't anymore.) It'd be like writing Him a letter full of my praises, thanksgiving, and requests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am probably a shame to the journaling world. I have completed one journal since I was 10. :( But as these last few years have been tough I have really loved pouring out my private thoughts.

    As for a layout. I have one that is to record different things I've read in the bible, and then prayers to God. In my personal diary I sometimes write prayers, but I mainly just record whatever is in my heart. For that one I do write Dear Hope (because Dear Diary sounds funny to me so I write to a Hope because how can you be down when you're talking to someone named hope? I know I'm wierd.) :) As for what I write in that diary. Well, I am really bad about recording normal things. Mine are all matters of the heart stuff, and at the bottom I normally go "oh yeah, this and this happened, the end."

    I also have a beautiful book (not really a journal) that I write quotes in.

    My journals have all been given to me. I'm so inconsistent I hate buying them. So they are all random, beautiful ones. I do like the spiral binder ones, and I am currently in love with a beautiful leather journal at Barnes and Nobles. :)

    So there you have it, my thoughts on journals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me keeping a written journal was something I always wanted to do, but I couldn't ever find the time.

    Then I stumbled upon a service that let me phone in my thoughts, feelings, and stories of my daily life (although it's mostly stories of my kids, since their lives are more exciting than mine).

    At first I wasn't sure what it would be like to keep an audio journal, but I like it. I call-in during my daily commute and let the stream of consciousness flow. I use a service called LifeOnRecord. The web site of the journaling product I use is http://www.lifeonrecord.com/KeepAJournal.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been really inconsistent with keeping a journal. There was one period of time where I wrote EVERY day without fail... that was when I was going through a very hard time in my lie. My husband and I were still in our courtship stage, and we weren't able/allowed to talk (the Lord actually worked it out for good and drew us both closer to him) due to one parent out of four feeling like we weren't ready. During that time, I wrote down one memory each day about "us." I have since written those down in a leather journal and given them to my husband -- he treasures it.

    Another type of journal I've kept is a prayer journal... it's not a written prayer, but a list of what/who to pray for and answers to prayers.

    Finally, this really isn't a journal, but it's a similar thought. Before David & I got married, I would periodically write him letters... I actually began this before I started my relationship with David... so they were just to my "future husband." As time went on, they started to be directed towards him. Like the journal mentioned above, he really enjoyed reading these, too... although, it's a little bit embarrassing to have him read something I wrote when I was fifteen.

    Currently, I have a journal where I write down very random things. When I'm struggling with something, I might write it down... When my husband takes me to do something really special, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love journaling! I got my first journal when I was five or six. I love buying journals, too. It's bad. I have to make myself finish one before I get a new one.

    My style of journaling has definitely changed over the years, but now I journal in my quiet times mostly. Writing is such a passion and an outlet for me that it really helps me to focus my thoughts and even to worship. I write down verses, thoughts, and prayers. I don't have a set format - I just write down the date and whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I write about God, and sometimes to Him. Sometimes I write about other things, too, but it's mostly spiritual.

    Something I learned from Elisabeth Elliot... I don't remember which book this was in... was to journal instead of marking my Bible up. I like to do this so I'm not reading Scripture through a grid of my old underlinings and thoughts. Instead, when a verse means a lot to me, I journal it. It helps me learn it by heart and be impacted by it.

    Great post, Kaysie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I use basically any notebook that I can get my hands on. Well, a pretty one that is. For me, its a prayer journal where once a day I write a specific prayer request that is on my mind or something of an event the previous day or what I have been learning in my Bible study. It is a great way to look back and say "Yes, this is what I have been learning; this is what God is teaching me; this is the story of His great faithfulness to mr!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have loved the idea of journaling for as long as I can remember, though it was only in the last few years I began to journal regularly. It really started when I got a new journal to record the "big events" in my life, and that gradually progressed into daily entries.

    Now I try to journal every few days, but in school I usually only have time about once a week. Then it takes me almost two hours to get everything written down. It could make more sense to just journal ten minutes every night, but somehow ten minutes always seems to turn into forty-five for me (smile).

    My one main journal I write all my thoughts, prayers, and other happenings in my life. My other journal is for my quiet time and personal scripture reading.

    I don't have a favorite brand of journals. The journals I have are all gifts from relatives or unused ones of my parents I have found tucked away on our bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to write... I'm not as talented as you are, but I have always felt a need to put my thoughts down on paper. When my focus in life changes, my writting also changed... I started to write more and more about what the Lord had been doing in my life... it blesses me sometimes when I look back and see how the Lord has be so present in my life... even going back to old blog posts...

    I'm glad you have decided to not keep your journaling to yourself, but to share it with us through your blog. Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a journal lover, too. I've always kept a journal to write about the happenings of my life, since I was about 9 or 10. (It's hilarious to read entries I wrote at that age, maybe a little older- such passion and conviction about menial little subjects such as the decor of my dollhouse or my love for a stray cat!)
    In the past 5 years or so I've also tried to keep a "Bible journal", in which I record what I'm learning in my devotions, devotional quotes, etc., and then a prayer journal, in which I record prayer requests.

    In the past year I've just used one journal to contain all of these things, and that has worked out best for me. It's neat to read back entries and see a mix of daily happenings and feelings, as well as the development of my spiritual life and prayers. It's a big faith builder, to look back and see the little ways God has worked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big journal writer, currently filling a journal approx. every 3 months. I journal everything in one journal...as I love to write so much and have lots of papers here and there from stories, articles, etc. it has helped me to be neater when I have all my thoughts, prayers, prayer requests, struggles, poetry, praises etc. in one journal. I have been journaling since I was eleven (my the things I wrote back then!!) and over the past seven years I have made my way to my 18th journal, I think. I like to number my pages because I will link one journal entry to another. I cannot tell you how many journal entries end with "continued on pg. ___" This really helps me, especially if I'm struggling with something and the days are really busy. I don't feel pressured to stay up late and finish my journal entry about whatever. I can just continue the same thought the next day. I also have taped special notes/letters/emails from friends and a few pictures into my journals at times - it makes looking back over my journals so much more interesting! Unlike some however, I would never want ANYONE to read most of my journals, so perhaps I should call them diaries. :) I am not a "talk it out" person, but rather a "write it out" person, which is none very well by my journal and my close penpal friends. :)

    As for journal types, I prefer spiral bound journals, because I also write my sermon notes in my journal, and I like to be able to flip it back and lay in on whichever side of my Bible the text we are focusing on is not coming from to take notes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kaysie,

    I'm really blessed with your life and all that God has been teaching you which you've been sharing with us through your blog.

    I was just wondering what your opinion would be, since you have written about journaling. I'm confused about my own blogging and journaling habits. I'm very, very, very personal in my journal; I actually cry out to God in my journal. But it seems I sometimes carry over my attitude from my journal to my blog. I'm afraid I might become overly personal in my blog, and I have Christian and non-Christian readers, whose opposite reactions I fear, or whose very presence tempt me to become proud.

    I'd like to know what you think about my situation, which even I myself do not understand. But all I know is that I should just be myself and simply be truthful and sincere in all that I do, glorifying God in everything. Am I on the right track? :)

    God bless you, your family, and your ministry always!

    Raine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Raine,

    Thank you for your kind words! Praise the Lord for His goodness.

    You asked a very good question, which I have struggled with and asked of myself too. Blogging can definitely effect your personal journalling, and it can be difficult to find a safe and healthy balance in expressing your heart on the web.

    It is great that you keep a honest, personal journal. Keep that up, and don't let blogging distract you from it. When choosing what to share or how much to share on your blog, ask of yourself the motive or reason you would be sharing something. Is it to "get it off your chest"? Then I wouldn't blog it. Grab your journal instead. But if you are writing to offer hope and encouragement over a certain inner struggle than I would blog, but carefully.

    Make sure your blog doesn't become your journal, because, unlike your journal, your blog has readers from all over the world. You will either share to become embraced by the comments, or not share the deeper struggles for fear of rejection. Ultimately, pray about what God's will is for your writings and blog. We are to do all things for His glory, and not our own. (1 Cor. 10:31) He will help your discern motives and find appropriate subjects for blog posts.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete