Monday, March 17, 2008

Hope of the Heart

"And now, Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in You." Ps. 39:7

Hope is a life support of the human soul. Without it we live our lives with a sense of inner despair and outward defeat. Our hope for the present and future is where we find purpose and cause for endurance.

I have never really meditated much on the virtue or necessity of having true hope in my life, that is, until I had experienced a sense of lost hope. (God has a unique way of teaching us the importance of something by allowing us to experience times without it.) Hope is one of those things we don't "work on" like other virtues, but is equally important. Because we don't purpose to "acquire" more hope in our lives, we might miss the change and vision possessing it can bring.

Hope is described in Scripture as an anchor of the soul (Heb. 6:19). It stabilizes us. It secures us. It grounds us. God knew we needed a hope for the future to give us vision when life seems monotonous, dreams crash, and light is shadowed. The ultimate hope for a Christian's future is heaven; finally at last being with our Savior, our Father, and our Comforter. No more pain. No more tears. The living hope. (1 Peter 1:3) Our eternal hope strengthens our hearts and equips us for endurance.

Are there areas in your life that seem hopeless? Maybe it is a friendship you've given up on because of pain or poor communication. Maybe it's a fault you keep stumbling over again and again. Maybe it is a dream for your future that has yet to materialize. Maybe it is a deeper ache in your heart that you really can't describe but it leaves you weary of life. Maybe you are having a season of "waiting" that is depleting your strength.

May I encourage you to renew your hope in God? This morning, I prayed the verse written above asking Him, "Lord, for what do I wait? Please give me patience and endurance. Show me again what I am waiting for. My hope is in You, Jesus. You are my only hope. Help me remember that." He also brought me to the beloved verses in Isaiah 40:31 which encourage, "Yet those who wait (also translated hope) for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary."

Hope is powerful. Don't underestimate it. Jesus came to bring hope for you and me and be able to spread that hope to others.

"But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give and account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for allowing the Lord to use you to encourage me. What a blessing this post is.
    I have often realized that without putting my hope in the Lord - I can become fearful, anxious, and weary. That's not where I want to stay in my Christian life, to say the least. I want to be rejoicing in my Saviour, full of hope, and serving Him with renewed zeal and purpose of heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kaysie, those are some wonderful verses and thoughts to share. I especially loved reading I Peter 3:15 because I hadn't noticed the little word hope in there before. :)

    Blessings to you, and btw, I finally did a post on the tag you gave me the other day.

    Blessings and much love in the Lord :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful and so true. Hope is a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaysie, what more can be said? You are so right! God is good, and when all are hope is gone, He isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this encouraging post. Hope is truly a powerful thing. When I get discouraged and lose sight of the prize I remind myself to "hope thou in God." A friend pointed me to Isaiah 50:10 this morning, that is another amazing verse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, my dear Kaysie, for this encouraging post. The Lord gave me one of those "words of hope" on Sunday evening during the service. Our pastor was preaching on Ecc. 3, and this verse jumped out at me: "A time to weep and time to laugh. A time to mourn and a time to dance." I've been have a difficult time lately, and His word of hope was, "There will be a time to dance."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara, thanks so much for your encouragement to me. It is amazing how much difference putting our hope in the Lord can make in our daily lives. Hoping in God is indeed powerful!

    Jimena, I thought it was amazing when I too noticed the word "hope" in 1 Peter! The Lord always has deeper treasures in His Word for us! I also liked your "tag" post... very different! :)

    Anna, thanks for your comment. I love that hope is our anchor!

    Ella, yes, God is good, especially when all hope is gone!

    Rebekah, thanks for sharing Is. 50:10. Another great "hopeful" verse. God's hope is such a powerful thing.

    Allison, thank you for sharing what you did. It also touched my heart. I am waiting for my "time to dance"... love you sister. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really a blessing... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really amazing book on the subject of the importance of hope in the life of a Christian is The Slumber of Christianity by Ted Dekker. It was eye-opening for me, and I highly recommend it.

    "And we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness to have the full assurance of hope until the end, so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises."
    Hebrew 6:11-12 ESV

    ReplyDelete
  10. And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
    Romans 5:5

    For in thee, O LORD, do I hope: thou wilt hear, O Lord my God.
    Psalm 38:15

    The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
    Ephesians 1:18

    That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
    Ephesians 2:12


    Romans 15:13
    Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.


    Romans 15:4
    For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

    Romans 12:12
    Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

    Romans 8:25
    But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are great verses Christian! Thanks for sharing them with us. They go perfectly with this post.

    ReplyDelete