Friday, April 10, 2009

Stamped With Crimson Love

24280889

I wrote this poem in a hotel room a few hours after my grandmother's funeral. The words had been ringing in my ears all evening. I am so thankful for hope even in grief. Redemption is a tender comfort in death's pain.

darkened room
somber mood
lifeless face
casket closed

weeping eyes
tender hugs
heads are down
memories pulse

I look around this room of death
to see the smoldering flame of life
exterminated--
faces composed of reserve
repress the flood of emotion
waiting to surge

innocent eyes meet the truth:
death is closer than we feared
life is passing like a storm
as a sunset or the dawn
the light changes colors--

we are left alone in the dark
existence leaves a painful mark

human fate is sealed
gravity presses against our dreams
time we have or have not
brings strange focus

if life is short, where is the sweet?

hearts burn for hope
for purpose
for passion

hope is springing amidst the cold reality
from a source few think true--
but it throbs within every soul
like footsteps walking a lantern
into each dark chamber of your mind
searching for a wick to ignite

purpose is found in a simple story
painting dusty roads, thirsty people, a crucifixion
blood spills from a perfect mind
shame is draped upon a sinless form
and in a murder true life is found

passion seizes those who trust
in this man upon the cross
a small spark in a dying field
quickly unfurls and consumes it all

at last, we are found

the casket can be lowered
and covered beneath
but hope cannot be contained
it must be released

darkness has no choice but to flee
in the presence of a light
on the alter of a soul
redeemed and rescued by Jesus Christ

no fear can settle
no pain can desecrate
a life immortal and everlasting
stamped with crimson love

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!! :)

    Kaysie,
    What a gorgeous poem!
    How much we have in Jesus!!!!!
    A hope that can not be fathomed, a grace that is
    ever sufficient and a Savior who is ever faithful
    to the end!!!!!!

    Hope you and your dear family have a blessed Easter weekend!

    Many Blessings~ Miss Jen


    "But he was wounded for our transgressions,
    he was bruised for our iniquities:
    the chastisement of our peace was upon him;
    and with his stripes we are healed."
    -Isaiah 53:5

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was positively beautiful, Kaysie! We have so many reasons to fall on our knees and praise Him for enduring what should have been ours....so we wouldn't have to.

    For the first time last night, I watched The Passion with my family. That totally made everything come alive even more for me. I sat weeping and thanking Him that though He knew all that would happen on that Friday, He didn't try to back out.

    My favorite song about this is FFH's "On My Cross." I posted the lyrics on my blog.

    Love, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I just came accross your blog, and I'm so very glad I did! You have soo many wonderful posts on here, God has definitely blessed you with a gift for writing and stirring up souls for Him! The poem was wonderful!
    I'd love for you to check out my website if you get the chance and maybe we could get to know each other a little more. (The website is locachicagj.blogspot.com)
    I'll be checking your blog regularly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous poem - did you write it? It's amazing!! I hope you had a wonderful Ressurection Sunday.

    Blessings, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Jen, thank you! :) Yes -- His grace is truly marvelous and I cannot help but sing, talk, and write about it. Hope you had a blessed Easter.

    Ella, thank you. What a great way to celebrate Easter by watching The Passion. How great is His sacrifice... I read the lyrics you posted on your blog and they are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them. Hope your Easter was blessed!

    Adria, welcome! I am glad you are enjoying my blog. I am continually amazed at how God uses my writings to encourage people. He is amazing. :) I will be sure to check out your blog. Thanks again.

    Hannah, yes, I did write this poem when I got back to the hotel after my grandmother's funeral. God gave me the words. Hope you had a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaysie! I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother's death...I'll be praying for all of you! I have to tell you, this poem spoke to me in ways that I haven't actually been able to touch inside of myself for a very long time. I've experienced loss before, and I know that very feeling--everyone is standing around a lifeless form, and there's a silent cry emanating from bottled up emotions of the mass. Not only do we feel grief from losing the person that lies there, but we suddenly are faced with the reality that this is man's unavoidable fate.

    But then there's that incredible, beautiful truth--Hope remains for us!!! Christ is searching every heart for a place where He can light His flame. In His care, we have nothing to fear! And in the realization of life's fragility, that becomes so much more potent.

    Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I really really loved it.

    I love you Kaysie!
    In His arms,
    --Abigail

    ReplyDelete