Wednesday, January 12, 2011

the engagement story

Gather around my friends...

It was a dark and stormy night
, quite foggy too, on the day Brian and I became engaged; just perfect for trying to plan an outdoor proposal, I am sure. Because Brian and my work schedules were a little conflicting during this time, Tuesday afternoon was almost the only day open for us both before Christmas and we decided to have a nice date despite the weather. He originally told me that we were going downtown for a later dinner at a cozy little Italian restaurant, thus we needed to kill some time beforehand. After he picked me up, we drove around the mountain chatting and catching up when Brian turned to go down to the brow overlook.

This was not strange to me because we often drive to the brow and talk and look at the city lights. I was completely oblivious to what was about to happen. We both got out of the truck and looked down toward the brow. He kinda shrugged his shoulders and said, "Do you want to go down?" [I'm telling you, the man was as calm as could be during this whole process thus far. I am truly amazed looking back.] Well I have always found fog to be romantic and a little fog didn't bother me in the least. I was still thinking that we were simply killing time, so we might as well stop at the brow for a little while. Before we left the truck to walk down, Brian pulls out from behind his seat this relatively large cardboard box and begins to take it with us. Before I could even ask, "What in the world?" he told me it was an early Christmas present he wanted me to have. Again, call me naive, but I really suspected nothing.

We got down to the overlook and gazed at the mysterious wall of fog surrounding us. It was so quiet, the kind of muffled quiet only fog can bring. I eyed the box and Brian gave me his knife to cut the tape. Inside was a stained-glass crimson star wrapped in newspaper. It was so beautiful. I picked it up and held it for a moment. I sat it back in the paper and gave Brian a hug. He laughed and said, "Well why don't you look inside?"

This is the moment, folks, when dear old Kaysie finally got a twinge of suspicion. My heart started beating faster and my breath kind of caught in my throat. I remember thinking to myself, "He's not about to..." I slowly opened the tiny door in the center of the star. Inside was the most beautiful ring I've ever seen and a poem, which I quickly recognized was written by Wendell Berry, written in Brian's handwriting taped inside the door.

I didn't move, I didn't breathe, I just stood there with my hands covering my mouth not believing what was sitting in front of me. I think I remember my leg shaking because I was trying not to cry, which didn't end up working. I am unsure of how long I would have remained in this stone-like position if it had not been for Brian finally reaching inside and taking the ring, getting down on one knee and telling me how much he loved me before asking me to marry him. I think you might suspect what my answer was... YES! He slipped the ring onto my finger and we both stared at it for a few moments. As we hugged, my happy tears soaked into his jacket while I looked up into the evening sky unable to utter anything, yet my heart was overwhelmed with gratitude. We were both speechless for a little while.

And I thought my heart was going to explode from pure happiness. God is truly good to those who wait for Him, to those who seek Him...

3 comments:

  1. I always love hearing engagement stories, and yours is particularly sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie! I kinda think so too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your engagement story! Congrats!

    A couple friends and I are starting up a new website/blog for set-apart sisters to connect and share. We'd love you to be a part of it! We are also looking for guest bloggers. Blessings, Hannah Rose

    dwellonlovely.com

    ReplyDelete