Thursday, December 24, 2009

the night before Christmas

76996569So it's Christmas Eve. The tangled lights around the tree are casting a spell on my vision. Light seems to be glittering everywhere. Quietly I sit here on this fluffy sofa, almost in unbelief that Christmas is actually here. Where did all the weeks go that protected me from this special day? Christmas kinda crept up on me this year. I'm prepared according to cultural standards. My gifts are purchased, the house is clean and decorated, all the food is prepared, the family is here. Yet somehow it still doesn't feel like Christmas to me.

Which urges me to wonder ... what makes Christmas "Christmas"?

It could be nostalgic snapshots that roll though my mind: Watching my family talk and laugh among one another while I listen from a distance with a warm cup of tea in my hands. Younger siblings shrieking in delight as missed relatives pull into our driveway. Apple spiced candles burning on the fireplace mantel. The beautiful green wreath enclosing five candles representing the many wonders of our Savior's birth. The music of merry celebration. The thrilling sound of paper tearing followed by squeals or tears of joy. Christmas arouses memories filled with warmth, joy, and the smell of cinnamon.

But also I wonder what made the first Christmas special. I don't think it induced the same vanilla-coated memories I associated with this holiday. It probably felt like an ordinary day. Forget Christmas spirit and red ribbons. Life was closing in from every corner. Demands, dust, and danger were the decorations of Mary and Joseph's first Christmas. They were far from family, home, and comfort. But God was near. So near in fact, they could stroke His face with their fingers.

My point is ... whether we feel "Christmasy" or not ... Jesus is near. He invaded life in the form of a helpless, tender baby, and grew up to become our sacrificial substitute -- ultimately changing the world and eternity forever. He didn't wait until everyone was gathered around the tree with fidgety anticipation. He came on a silent night, but it was a holy night. He came so we could be near God. And that nearness is what I love about Christmas. Family, gifts, cocoa, and Christmas lights do make me happy. But it is the quiet, thankful moments I cherish the most. Thank You, Jesus, for coming so I could be near You, especially on Christmas ... and the night before.

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas~ dear friend!!!!!! :)
    Beautiful post~ AMEN!!!

    Love in Jesus~ Miss Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. This is my first Christmas without my dad, who went to be with Jesus a few months ago. You summed up my feelings...sort of a melancholy something in the midst of all the festivity. You nailed it -- God is with us! That is why we celebrate Christmas. All the feel-good things associated with it are just icing on the cake. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaysie,
    Just wanted to stop by and wish you a happy new year!! Praying God's best and much joy for you in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about this being not a 'nostalgic' Christmas for you sweet girl...
    We all gave it our best effort, and you sure seemed to 'love all the gifts'...
    I guess time has moved on... in your heart...

    ReplyDelete